Monday, October 15, 2007

HW 21: A Room Of One's Own

Dear Amanda,
You are in luck! I in fact have read chapter one of A Room of One’s Own. I understand that it is a difficult read, and I, too, had trouble understanding the first chapter. Forgive me if I am way off point when trying to help you with the chapter. At least I will do my best, right? Anyways, here’s the meat of chapter one. Mary, the narrator in chapter one, has been asked to define the term “women and fiction.” She is troubled by this, because of the fact that it is a wide area of study. She is a student at Oxbridge, and the college has two paths to travel on: a gravel one and a turf path. She isn’t allowed to be on the turf path, however, and the Beadle yells at her. Back at the college, she notices a cat without a tail. Unfortunately, I couldn’t learn the significance of this sight. I think that that is a decent description of chapter one. Your teacher probably thinks that this is an important read because of the fact that Woolf is speaking about women. The book challenges the question, “what is the role of women in fiction?” However, I find the book very hard to understand and I’m not even sure that my description is anything close to accurate. I’m not really sure how a sophomore in high school could understand this difficult piece of writing. Don’t stress over the fact that it is very hard, I’m sure that your teacher will sympathize with everyone. I hope you got something valuable out of this, later.

1 comment:

Tracy Mendham said...

Yes, it's a challenging read.
And don't a few words get said about literature, and education, and money?