Monday, November 5, 2007

HW 28: An Open Letter to Riverbend

Dear Riverbend,
I am an eighteen-year old freshman at Keene State College in Keene, NH. It’s a small, everyday American town. I’ve been reading your blogs, specifically your older ones in 2003 and I find them very interesting. I can only imagine what life must have been like and still is like today. I never understood how bad the living conditions actually were. However, after carefully reading your blog from August 28th, 2003, I felt a little offended. You imply that most Americans are ignorant and do not see what you see in Iraq. You say that we think of turban-wearing teachers, brown tents, dirt roads, and many other stereotypes when thinking about your country. However, I would bet that you make the same assumptions about the United States. You probably assume we are all addicted to fast food, sex, and drugs. We all drive SUV’s and have million dollar houses. That is not the case, as with the same in yours. Yes, we as a country on the whole, tend to kid and joke about the stereotypical Iraqi, but I don’t believe we should be held responsible. In many of your posts, you bash the news and media for giving the wrong impression about your people. In this aspect, I agree to the fullest extent. You hit the nail on the head when making this assumption. American citizens can’t fly to your country and experience life there in the first hand. We are forced to trust the media, news, and government about the actions in Iraq. I’m sorry you have strong feelings about this, but I want to try and defend myself. If you are to blame anyone, single out the media, not the American people. Other than that, I love reading your posts and trying to view life the way you see it. I find it enjoyable and I have the utmost respect for you.

1 comment:

Tracy Mendham said...

Good...I'm not sure that I read Riverbend's assumptions exactly the same way, but this is a valid response.