Wednesday, September 12, 2007

HW 6: Interest Statement

There are three social technologies that interest me right now. The first, social networking services, has peaked my interest the most. I use websites such as www.facebook.com routinely. I would like to learn more about these social networking services. The second technology that I’m interested in is instant messaging. I have a screen name for America Online Instant Messenger, and I use it daily. The last technology that I have interest in is email. Like instant messaging and social networking services, I use email routinely to keep in touch with the people that I care about.
There are several marginalized groups that I have interest in. I would like to learn more about racism, because it grabs my interest. I find it fascinating to learn about how cruel people have been and still are. Homophobia has also interested me. I know many homophobes, and many of my peers like poking fun towards the gay community. The last marginalized group, urban communities, have my most interest as of now. I come from Manchester, NH, and we do have an urban community. I would like to learn more about the struggles and barriers urban communities face.
The United States and North America are the geographical areas that I will be focused on for my research. I live in North America, thus also the United States, so I’m more concerned about where I live instead of somewhere that I don’t.

1 comment:

Tracy Mendham said...

Sounds great--I'll look forward to seeing what your research turns up as you investigate and narrow your focus.